To help teams stay connected while working remotely, we are extending this premium feature of SameGoal Plus to all customers through June 30, 2020.
Documents may be shared with parents/guardians for remote viewing and electronic signature. Some examples of when this may be useful include:
- Obtaining faster parent signature turnaround on documents which do not require meetings (eg prior written notices, parent consent, etc).
- Sharing documents electronically during remotely held meetings (eg over telephone or video). All collaborative team edits are shown in real-time for parents to easily follow along.
- Capturing parent signatures electronically on all related documentation after a meeting has been held.
When a document is shared with a parent:
- The parent receives an email. This email contains a link to the document shared with them. The newly added parent is also reflected as part of the Collaborative Team on the document Share tab.
- NOTE: If a parent has not received the email, please advise them to check their Spam folder.
- Parent permission. Parents may view documents whether or not they are complete. However, in order to sign a document, the document must be marked incomplete.
- Parents see all fields as read-only, except those related to parent signature, even when a document is incomplete. Leaving a document incomplete after a meeting will not allow a parent to make non-parent signature related changes.
- This editing model is intentionally consistent with how the application works for logged in educators, who can also only apply signatures while a document is incomplete.
- If a document is marked complete at the point it is shared with a parent, Can View permission is applied rather than Can View & Sign. This is reflected in the Collaborative Team on the document Share tab.
- Parent permission changes. Parent permission changes when document status changes.
- Document marked complete. When an incomplete document is marked complete, all existing parent access is automatically demoted from Can View & Sign to Can View. This is reflected in the Collaborative Team on the document Share tab.
- Document re-marked incomplete. When a completed document is re-marked incomplete due to a correction or amendment, parent access intentionally remains Can View such that parents do not apply signatures to a document change that is not yet ready. If a document must be re-signed (eg an amendment is made), parent access must be explicitly re-promoted from Can View to Can View & Sign on the Share tab once the document is again ready for signature.
- Parent abilities. Parents who have had a document shared with them are able to:
- View the document.
- Edit/sign ONLY areas related to parent signature.
- See all edits in real-time by members of the collaborative team. As edits are made, the parent viewer screen automatically scrolls to the most recent field a staff member has clicked in, making it easy to follow allow during remote meetings.
- See all other collaborators currently viewing the document in the top right of the screen (the same as a logged in user).
- Chat with any collaborator currently viewing the document and signed into chat by clicking the collaborator "name card" in the top right.
- For more information about parent abilities, see Parent/Guardian Guidance - View and Sign Electronically. This support page is linked to from the email sent to parents when a document is shared.
This feature should only be used to share documents with parents/guardians for the purposes of viewing and signing. The following is not supported:
- Capturing electronic signatures from other district staff (eg general education teachers). These individuals should instead be added as regular users to SameGoal.
- Capturing parent input in fields unrelated to electronic signatures.
- Capturing input from non-district related individuals (eg student's doctor).
To share a document with a parent to view and sign:
- Visit the document you wish to share with a parent. Click the Share tab.
- Click the Share with Parent/Guardian button under Add Collaborator.
- Enter the required fields:
- First name: Parent/guardian first name
- Last name: Parent/guardian last name
- Email: Parent/guardian email address
- Click the Send button. The parent will be emailed document access and added to the Collaborative Team on the Share tab.
To re-share a document with a parent for signing (Use Case: When an incomplete document is marked complete, all existing parent access is automatically demoted from Can View & Sign to Can View):
- Visit the document. Click the Share tab.
- Find the parent in the Collaborative Team. Change the parent's permission from Can View to Can View & Sign. The parent will be re-emailed Can View & Sign document access.
To remove a parent from a document:
- Visit the document. Click the Share tab.
- Find the parent in the Collaborative Team. Change the permission dropdown to Remove and click the Save button.